Shawarma + arayas = sharayas! Ground chicken seasoned with shawarma spice, fresh chopped onion and cilantro, tucked inside a pita and baked until crisp. Serve with Israeli salad and tahina for a full meal in minutes. Use store bought shawarma spice or make your own with the recipe from McCormick Spice.
- mini food processor
- sheet pan
- 1 lb. ground chicken or turkey
- 2 T. *Shawarma spice *see notes
- 1 t. Salt
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1/2 c. cilantro finely chopped
- 8 pitas cut in half
- Olive oil for brushing
- Zaatar for sprinkling optional
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Mix chicken, shawarma spice, salt, onion and cilantro together in a bowl.
- Stuff chicken mixture into pitas and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush with oil and sprinkle zaatar on both sides.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, cut in half and flip over. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes until crisp on both sides and chicken is cooked through.