This is my absolute most favorite recipe to serve for the holidays. (You’re going to want to bookmark this one.) It comes together easily and can serve a crowd. The stuffing is enough for two chickens. Either plan on stuffing two chickens, freeze the remaining stuffing for another meal or stuff into veggies such as tomatoes, peppers, zucchini and onions as a side dish.
All of the credit for this dish goes to my husband’s Aunt Ruthy who is an amazingly talented home chef and creates the most beautiful Shabbat and Holiday tables.
Whole Boneless Stuffed Chicken with Apples and Honey
- Roasting Pan
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ cup bazmati rice
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts optional
- 1 cup packed parsley finely chopped
Chicken & Vegetables:
- 1 3-4 pound whole chicken back bone removed
- 10 small potatoes
- 2 large Fugi apples cored and cut into large wedges
- 6 small carrots peeled
- 8 shallots peeled
- 3 small sweet potatoes scrubbed and cut into quartets
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
Seasoning Mix for Vegetables & Chicken
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teapspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Sauté onion 4-5 minutes until translucent.
- Add ground beef and sauté until beef starts to brown 6-8 minutes.
- Add rice, water and seasonings. Stir until combined. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in pine nuts and parsley. Allow stuffing to cool completely.
Chicken and Vegetable Instructions
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix all of the seasonings together in a small bowl.
- Season vegetables with half of the seasoning mix, 1T. oil and 1T. honey. Toss vegetables to coat. Season chicken with remaining seasoning mix. Rub seasoning into chicken until evenly covered. Stuff chicken with cooled stuffing. Truss chicken with cooking twine. Drizzle with remaining 1 T. oil and 1 T. honey.
- Place the chicken and vegetable on a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment. You may need a second baking sheet to fit all of the vegetables. If using 2 baking sheets roast vegetable on bottom rack for 1 hour, stirring after 30 minutes. Roast chicken on top rack for 1 hour, 20 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 145F.