Roasted Eggplant Salad
Roasted eggplant and peppers give this dip a deep smokey flavor.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 red pepper
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 clove of garlic crushed
- 1 T. olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ t. salt
- ¼ c. packed flat leaf parsley finely chopped
- 1 T tahina paste or mayo optional
- Cut eggplant and red pepper lengthwise and lay cut side down on a broiler pan lined with foil and sprayed with cooking spray. Place jalapeño on broiler pan with eggplant and pepper.
- Broil at 550 degrees F. for 10-15 minutes. Once the red pepper is mostly blackened, remove from the oven and place in a bowl. Cover and allow the pepper to steam.
- Turn the jalapeño over to blacken the other side. Broil 5-10 minutes more or until mostly charred. Once charred, remove jalapeño from the oven and place in the bowl with the red pepper. Cool until the peppers can be handled.
- Continue to roast the eggplant for an additional 5-10 minutes, for a total cooking time of 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the pan. Once the eggplant has cooled, scoop out the flesh with a spoon careful remove all of the charred skin. Place the eggplant flesh into a medium bowl. Mash with a fork until eggplant is no longer stringy.
- Remove the cooled peppers from the bowl. Peel the charred skins and discard seeds. Chop into a ¼ in. dice. Add the peppers to the eggplant. Add remaining ingredients. Stir to combine. Makes 1 cup.
- Blend in the tahina paste or mayo if using.
This recipe is also great with roasted garlic instead of the raw it you have some on hand.