One of the first recipes I made for my husband after we were married was vegetable soup. And I managed to burn it! Thankfully after more than a few tries, I’ve perfected my soup game. White bean soup is one of our favorite meatless meals. Serve it with a warm baguette, a plate of soft cheeses and crudités with your dip of choice for a super easy week night dinner. The recipe includes cooking instructions below for stove top, Instant Pot or in the slow cooker. I highly recommend making a double batch and freezing it in deli containers.
White Bean Soup
- Instant Pot (optional)
- Slow cooker (optional)
- 1 lb. Small White Beans soaked overnight (unless making in an Instant Pot)
- 1 medium Onion diced
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1/4 c. Tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- 2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Harissa
- 8 cups Water
- 2 Russet Potatoes peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup Cilantro chopped
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté 4-5 minutes until translucent.
- Add tomato paste, turmeric, salt, pepper and harissa. Sauté 1 minute.
- Add water and beans, stir and scrape up any browned bits that are stuck to the pot.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes. Add more water 1 cup at a time if soup becomes too thick.
- Add the potatoes and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Add the chopped cilantro and stir incorporate.
Instant Pot Instructions
- Follow steps 1-3 in the Instant Pot.
- Set the pot to Off/Keep Warm
- Close the pot and set it for 15 minutes on manual.
- NPR 10 minutes, then QPR or just NPR.
You can also make it in a slow cooker by combining all the ingredients in the crock and setting it on low for 8-10 hours. I also highly recommend making a double batch and freezing it in deli containers.