This recipe makes the most of spinach and sun-dried tomatoes soaked in a flavorful smooth sauce with braised chicken breast. It’s easy enough for a weeknight main or a great addition to any Shabbat or Holiday table. The sauce is perfect for wiping clean with challah.
The sauce gets its richness from one of my most favorite *secret ingredients. (Read the recipe to find out what it is.) It adds a smooth creaminess to the sauce and keeps the chicken soft and tender. Serve it over rice or pasta to soak up every juicy bit.
Chicken with Spinach and Sun-dried Tomatoes
- large deep frying pan, tongs, whisk, measuring cups, measuring spoons, medium bowl
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 pound Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast each half cut lengthwise
- Salt, Pepper, and Paprika for seasoning
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1 cup White Wine or Chicken Broth
- 1 teaspoon Harissa
- 1 tablespoon *Mayonnaise*
- 5 ounces Fresh Spinach
- 1/4 cup Sun-dried Tomatoes in oil, sliced I prefer Trader Joe’s
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Heat oil in a large, deep frying pan over medium heat.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour, shaking off any excess. Discard remaining flour.
- Sear chicken 3-4 minutes on both sides in batches, until it is browned but not cooked through entirely. Remove the pieces from the pan to a platter.
- Deglaze the pan with wine or broth, scraping up brown bits from the pan on medium low heat.
- Add the harissa and mayonnaise, whisking into the broth until incorporated.
- Taste the sauce checking seasoning. Add salt and pepper according to taste.
- Add the spinach and the tomatoes to the sauce and stir until combined and the spinach begins to wilt. Sauce should be on a low simmer.
- Return the chicken to the sauce, spooning sauce over until all the pieces are basted.
- Cover and simmer on low heat until chicken is cooked through 10-12 minutes.